i’m over on meg biram’s place in the blog world talking about my five most favorite lip products! meg has been tapping into the inner workings of several of my best beauty blogger girls and the resulting posts are incredibly fun. click on over to see the five products that made my cut, and rediscover a new go-to (or twelve).
it’s been awhile since we talked about this, but every once in awhile (ok, all of the damn time) i take a look at the lip products that i’m currently rotating and i really like what i see. sometimes i like it so much that i just have to share them with you in hopes that one, you’ll discover something new, and two, maybe just maybe you’ll tell me what’s on your lips.
here’s what i’ve got goin’ on:
stila color balm lipstick in amelia, $22
if you’ve never tried these, they are are kind of incred. you get the full pigment of a lipstick with the comfort of a lip balm and a sweet minty taste. i wear it in amelia, a bright pink’y taupe, and i love the pop of color. i would buy these in a dozen shades and i adore that each tube has a mirror tucked in the cap for taxi-friendly application.
jane iredale ‘just kissed’ lip + cheek stain, $25
i know it seems like these self-adjusting lip shades are a dime a dozen, but this one really is something special. it’s a completely non-drying stain (feels like buttah) that delivers moisturizing comfort and serious shine in the perfect pink hue. it’s got all kinds of ingredients to soothe and nourish and in a pinch, you can even put some on your cheeks.
it cosmetics vitality lip blush hydrating gloss stain in je ne sais quoi, $24
i know what you’re thinking, a second self-adjusting lip color?! but hear me out. this one is a gloss and it’s an opaque pink and it’s gorgeous. i can swipe it on, it feels amazing and it looks like a custom-made pink glossy shade that was created just for me. it’s non-sticky and it wears down to a nice stain. love this brand, lovin’ this stuff.
revlon just bitten kissable balm stain in lovesick, $7
i don’t know what provoked me to pick these up since they aren’t exactly breaking news, but this color has completely breathed new life into this product for me. lovesick is kind of a creamy fuchsia and i’ve already adopted it as my go-to pre-fall lip. the shape of these pencils makes it easy to line and fill things in delivering shape and shine, oh and color.
giorgio armani rouge ecstasy lipstick in 400, $34
these babies could anchor their own post. (and i never get excited about lipstick!) the formula is a moisturizing velvet, bringing a touch of care and a whole lot of satin color to your lip game. these are lightweight and really long lasting. they’re hydrating, yet yield a matte finish for a lipstick that’s unlike anything that i’ve ever tried.
i’m about to dive into my busy travel season and after two years of making the accessories and gift trade show rounds, plus ad hoc visits to my retail accounts, i have spent a lot of time picking the best beauty products to pack. here are a handful of things that make my away-from-home beauty routine a breeze:
simple revitalizing eye roll on, $10.99
i really can’t say enough good things about this! my schedule is always nuts and i never get enough sleep so anything that energizes and de-puffs is a must have. the revitalizing eye roll on from simple is super packable and it delivers a refreshing boost each morning.
ilia balmy days lip conditioner, $24
this new-to-me balm is gorgeous. it smells like cookies and it’s the perfect texture so it can be applied under your favorite lip color during the day and you can give your lips a healthy dose in the evenings before bed to prevent the dreaded dryness that comes with hotel air.
blow pro faux dry dry shampoo, $20
i need to get as much life out of my washings as possible because i despise hotel water. dry shampoos absorb oil and plump up my hair so that things don’t look greasy on day two. i love this one because it’s non-aerosol, unscented and not at all sticky.
jane iredale zap&hide blemish concealer, $26
it never fails that i will break out while traveling. the teensiest change in my routine and my skin freaks out. i love this double-ended concealer stick from jane iredale because it packs an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory treatment on the opposite end. brilliant!
maybelline fit me! shine free foundation, $8.99
stick foundation doesn’t get nearly enough love. it’s so easy to apply and blend (straight on to the face or with a brush), plus the travel-friendly aspect is awesome. this gel-stick from maybelline is is ultra lightweight and summer-perfect with a mattifying core to zap shine.
cenoire eluo ultra sonic toothbrush, $29.99
another one i should have thought of sooner. i use an electric toothbrush at home, but always toted a manual one while i was on the road. cenoire has changed all of that with their stylish and portable option. it’s got two speeds, a protective cap and it’s pink.
julie hewett cheekie in destiny, $24
a creamy lip and cheek duo is the ultimate travel essential. this one from julie hewett adds a gorgeous natural flush to cheeks and the prettiest rosy hue when patted on to lips with my finger. it’s a sweet and simple beauty routine that always looks good.
stephanie johnson jenny train case, $75
this portable product hauler from stephanie johnson is very smart. it has elastic straps in the base to keep things in place, a large zip compartment for your makeup and a separate clear pouch for q-tips, hair ties, and other odds and ends. such a pretty way to pack!
it was really fun to see which posts were the most popular among you lovelies yesterday. i thought i would do my own spin on it and choose ten posted products still making an impact in my routine at the end of 2011. in no particular order:
1. butter london nail nail foundation is encouraging me to do more at-home manis (a beauty resolution of mine for 2012!)
2. bobbi brown tinted moisturizer oil free is my everyday ‘foundation’ – i love the fresh dewy look it leaves me with. it gives enough coverage to hide my flaws, but is sheer so i don’t look too done up.
3. use me products have been a godsend! i love the low foaming scalp cleanser, soft and light hair moisturizer, and the get it straight gelee. my hair is forever changed and there is no turning back!
4. technically never posted, but i write enough about stephanie johnson that i thought it would be ok to throw this one in there. her multipurpose medium flat pouch in rodeo drive silver is the perfect sweet, slim beauty bag for on the go. i don’t leave home without it.
5. eos lip balm leaves my lips the smoothest they have ever been. i keep one at my desk, one in my purse, and one at my bedside. it’s the $3 miracle that i can’t get enough of!
6. clinique bottom lash mascara has been a top-shelf find. even though i use it only on my top lashes, the tiny brush and smudge-proof formula keep me coming back for more.
7. the bare escentuals ready eyeshadows are incredible! the application is so smooth, the duo pairings foolproof, and the staying power impressive enough to make me want to experiment with more eye color. and for a nude shadow addict, that is really saying something.
8. the sephora microfiber hair turban has done amazing things for me. for one, it stopped what i had always assumed was a receding hairline (in fact, my heavy hair towel was pulling the baby hairs out from around my face). it also stays in place sans slippage, cuts drying time in half and is a dream to travel with!
9. nars pure sheer lip treatment in lara not only has the best of names, but it’s the ultimate in easy lip color. i call it a little slip of nothing, adding just the right boost to your natural look.
10. jane iredale’s retractable lip brush has opened me up to a whole new world of lip products! i despise sticking my finger into pots of gloss and balm, but this little beauty has changed all of that. i love the way it snaps shut for toting around – you never know when you will need it!
have you discovered anything through the blog that has found a permanent home in your beauty bag this year?
jane iredale is known for what she calls “the skincare makeup.” her products are simply amazing for prettifying while also healing and helping the skin. what a concept! my new favorite from jane is this double-sided sugar&butter lip exfoliator and plumper. it’s essentially a sugar scrub and plumping lip butter in one pretty pink magic wand and a must have for the fierce and freezing weather we’ve been having. it leaves lips feeling renewed, looking plump, tinted pink and tasting incredible. it’s available for $24 on jane’s site.
want more pretty for your friday?
here are a few other things i’m loving this week:
- a new to me blog & fun daily read, sincerely jules
- jane mount’s the ideal bookshelf – i can’t wait to create my own!
- does anyone know where i can find this pottery barn pillbox!?
- stila’s it girl eyeshadow palette for $11 (with code itgirl through 1/27/11)
what are you up to this weekend? i’ve got a nice quiet couple of days ahead and wish you a very happy one!